WELCOME!

Welcome AP English Literature and Composition classmates and strangers surfing the web! Have a look around and feel free to leave comments or questions to any of the posts, whether about that specific post or about the blog in general. If you want to follow my blog, I will follow yours in return. Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

CANTERBURY TALES (I)

I had only heard The Canterbury Tales mentioned a couple of times before we started the piece, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  I think that the nature of the story as a very long poem adds to the humor and liveliness of the tone of the Prologue.  Words that normally may not be put together are put together for the sake of rhyming and rhythm.  Also, I was amused by Chaucer's extensive use of imagery as he describes the various character's.  My favorite simile that he includes is when he writes, "White as a daisy petal was his beard."  I enjoyed the irony in this phrase in that there are so many other more masculine comparisons that could have been made, but no, Chaucer sees fit to compare a franklin's beard to a flower, possibly implying the lower social status of a franklin.

I most want to read the miller's story in The Canterbury Tales.  I have heard some comments and innuendos about it, and I want to read for myself the details.  I want to see why it's so infamous and why it has the reputation it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment