WELCOME!

Welcome AP English Literature and Composition classmates and strangers surfing the web! Have a look around and feel free to leave comments or questions to any of the posts, whether about that specific post or about the blog in general. If you want to follow my blog, I will follow yours in return. Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

LAUNCH

Ever since I attended a math and science summer program at the University of Michigan this past summer, I have been fascinated by genetics.  Genetics is a growing new field in the sciences that is producing significant and helpful results.  I want to know, however, if this could be the future that I want.  I know that I may not know for certain at this point what I want to do with my life because I might discover something new in college, but I would also like to learn, and to teach to my classmates, the role that genetics and the ongoing research with it has in the world.  For example, just recently, I read an article from my mom's Brown
University alumni magazine about a mother who initiated the collaboration of multiple groups of researchers and geneticists to determine the gene that causes Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome because her son, Sam Berns, was born with progeria.  As far as using the tools that we learned about last semester, I will be doing a lot of research on the internet to learn what career in genetics I may want to pursue.  I do not want this masterpiece, however, to take up too much time from reading AP books.  By the end of this year, when I take the AP test, I don't want to have any regrets about not reading some book that may have helped me on the test.  I also want the knowledge and the education that comes along with reading the classics and important works of English Literature.  Going back to genetics, I could possibly contact a professor of genetics or a genetic counselor to discuss their career or their interest in genetics, but impressing people in the field of genetics would require breakthrough research using technology that I do not have available to me at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment